Hall to be Renamed in Commemoration of Head Boy Killed in WW1
The Stamford School Hall, and old gymnasium, have been put through a rigorous transformation over the past eleven months, becoming the heart of Performing Arts at the schools. With work completed and the official opening imminent, the schools remember a lost soldier and old Head boy, with the naming of the Oswald Elliott Hall.
The old Stamford School gymnasium has seen renovation both inside and out. The space now includes a black box studio and classrooms for Drama and Music. In addition, the refurbishment of the Stamford School Hall has seen it change into a state-of-the-art performance space for all the SES schools to use.
Both spaces are now back in use, and the Stamford School Hall will officially come to be known as the Oswald Elliott Hall. Oswald Carr Fiennes Elliott joined Stamford School in 1906, and became an integral part of school life, taking part in student committees and winning an abundance of academic prizes. In 1914, and his final year at the School, Oswald was named Head Boy. Later that very same year he joined Cambridge University’s O.T.C. Infantry Corps. In 1916, Oswald saw the front line of the First World War, but only six months after being sent out, he was hit by a shell attack whilst trying to supervise his men and died instantly.
Old Stamfordian, Nick McCarthy, who has been researching the experiences of Stamfordians in the Great War, said “In writing Oswald’s obituary, Canon Day remarked that whilst he was outwardly shy and rather nervous, he knew that his one principle in life was duty, in performance of which he would never flinch. He has left behind him the memory of one who strove not merely to live but to live worthily.”
The new performance spaces will be official opened on 5th December, by Director General of the BBC, Lord Tony Hall.