At Key Stage 3
The KS3 curriculum is designed to:
- provide a broad general education across a range of subjects in order to allow pupils to develop interests in many areas of experience and to advance their basic skill levels;
- accelerate the subject development which will allow pupils to proceed to GCSEs in KS4 with confidence.
When pupils join Y7 they will find that some subjects build directly on their work in Y6 and other subjects are encountered for the first time. All are taught by subject specialists and, through the three years in KS3, the depth and difficulty expected increases. This is a key time for academic progression and Heads of Department ensure, through the construction of schemes of work, that teaching within subjects has sufficient rigour and pace.
The curriculum construction for Y7 and Y8 has an emphasis on a core of English, Maths, Science and Modern Foreign Languages (French and Spanish studied in Y7 and then one selected for Y8) together with a range of other subjects. In addition to the strictly academic, there are considerable opportunities for pupils to become involved in practical, creative and artistic activities. .
- English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, French, History, Geography, Philosophy and Ethics, Information Technology and Physical Education are available to boys and girls during Y7 and Y8.
- The SS language curriculum begins with French and Spanish in Y7, with one selected for continued study in Y8. Latin is introduced in Y8, with German and Russian being offered in Y9.
- All boys are involved in practical and creative subjects studying Art, Drama, Music and DT in Y7 and selecting 3 from 4 of these in Y8.
The Y9 curriculum aims to allow pupils to choose option subjects for the first time, stimulating better teaching and learning at the end of KS3 and allowing a better balance between the subjects on offer. In option subjects the emphasis is on skill development in readiness for the start of GCSE courses in Y10.
- English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, French or Spanish and Physical Education form a compulsory core for in Y9.
- In addition to the core pupils chose five optional subjects from a wide list. This includes History, Geography, Classical Civilisation, Philosophy & Ethics, Latin, French, German, Russian, Spanish, Art, Drama, DT, Music and Learning Support
The SES policy is not to take the KS3 tests.