Skip to content ↓


1st XI Hockey start 2014 in style!

The 1st XI hockey team at Stamford School opened 2014 with a pre-season tournament at Worksop, playing four fixtures over two days.

The Stamford team met local rivals, Uppingham, in the first fixture of the tournament. The tone was set in the first 10 minutes of this match, with Stamford School laying siege on Uppingham’s goal. Centre forward, Jamie Richardson bagged a brace from open play, playmaker Joe Chedd scoring and short corner specialist Tom Wilson converting to make it four before half-time. The icing on the cake was supplied in the second half by forward Tom McDonald and Lawrence Sidwell slamming home from the top of the D. Final score 6-1 to Stamford School. Unfortunately, the afternoon game saw Stamford narrowly missing against North Nottinghamshire; as the local men’s team went on to win 3-2.

The next morning, the Stamford team were up against Seaford College. In a tense opening period of the match, Seaford strung together some well worked moves without really penetrating the Dodworth-Charlton axis in the Stamford backline. The Seaford pressure began to tell and deservedly took the lead with a well worked short corner. In the second half, Stamford kept their foot on the pedal and began to pen Seaford College deeper and deeper into their own territory. With less than five minutes remaining and still no goal to show for their efforts, Stamford transferred the ball out to Oliver Huxley on the right who in turn played a through ball to Tom McDonald, who expertly drove the baseline and slipped the ball back for the ever-present Jamie Richardson to slot home an equaliser. Stamford’s chance to win the game, came in the final minute – a miscued clearance from the opposition goalkeeper resulted in the awarding of a penalty corner. Up stepped drag-flicker Tom Wilson who secured a well-earned and thoroughly deserved win for the Stamford 1st XI. Final score 2-1.

After a tight morning affair, the afternoon game saw Stamford School pitched against Midland U’18s league champions, Trent College. A tight first half, saw the majority of the play clustered between both team’s 25 yard lines; with precious few chances created. Exceptional outletting from the back by Henry Charlton and Dan Adams was being cut out by an industrious and hard-working Trent College midfield outfit.

The second half, Stamford stormed out of the blocks and began to take a stranglehold of the game, through exploiting the gaps down the left-hand side of the Trent defence. The first goal – in what can only be described as the move of the match – came about through excellent vision from James Dodworth to distribute to Lawrence Sidwell who drove expertly down the baseline and find Jamie Richardson to slot home. The second goal came immediately after with a fine counter attacking move orchestrated by Tom Davies, resulting in Jamie Richardson bagging his second brace of the tournament. With the clock ticking down, Tom McDonald provided a touch of class to dink the ball over the advancing keeper to make it 3-0 to Stamford.

Following on from their success at Worksop, the 1st XI travelled to Hills Road Sixth Form College on Wednesday and claimed a 12-0 victory in the first round of the U18s HA Cup. Well done!